View recipes of Alistair Birt
Chocolate 'Doughnut Dippers' with Fennel, Apple and Bacon
250 g strong flour
8 g yeast
60 g butter
22 g sugar
5 g salt
14 g cocoa powder
125 g milk
50 g whole eggs
- Crumb together all dry ingredients.
- Add to machine with dough hook, together with milk and eggs, and kneed for 7 minutes.
- Allow to prove, double in size.
- Knock back and leave to cool in refrigerator for 2 hours.
100 g fennel
60 g sugar
100 g apple juice
- Dice fennel.
- Boil together sugar and apple juice.
- Turn down heat and add fennel.
- Leave to simmer until tender.
Caramelised Apple Puree
400 g whole Bramley apple (baked, pureed and passed)
100 g sugar
10 g sugar
2 g yellow pectin
- Create amber caramel with 100 g of sugar.
- Deglaze with apple puree.
- Rain in pectin and 10 g of sugar, and boil out.
- Season with lemon juice if needed.
30 g dry aged unsmoked streaky bacon
40 g sugar
60 g isomalt
- Fry bacon until crispy golden and drain on kitchen paper to remove fat.
- Make dry amber caramel with sugar, add isomalt and melt.
- Add bacon and combine.
- Pour onto silpat mat and leave to cool.
- Blitz and sieve onto silpat.
- Place in oven to obtain one sheet of glass, take out and cut into discs.
Caramelised Apple and Fennel Warm Foam
180 g sugar
200 g Bramley apple (chopped)
100 g fennel (chopped)
500 g apple juice
150 g double cream
30 g Sosa Pro Espuma
- Create dry amber caramel with sugar.
- Add apple and caramel, and boil out.
- Deglaze with apple juice and bring to a boil.
- Blitz and pass through strainer.
- Add double cream and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in Pro Espuma, pour into siphon and charge with one cartridge.
- Store at 65°C until moment of use.
Crystallised Fennel Seeds
50 g sugar
20 g water
50 g fennel seeds
- Heat together sugar and water to 118°C.
- Add fennel seeds and mix until crystallised.
- Create 5-gram dough balls and place a piece of fennel confit inside.
- Place into spherical mould and bake at 180°C for 17 minutes.
- When cool, pipe caramelised apple puree inside.
- Place liquorish root into doughnut, dip into tempered Cacao Barry® Plantation dark chocolate couverture Madirofolo 65% cocoa and place onto bacon glass disc.
- While wet, place one crystallised fennel seed on doughnut.
- Serve with warm foam à la minute.